Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

SL Cantilevered 3D Printer

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Sonny Lowe, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Sonny Lowe

Sonny Lowe Journeyman
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Keith,

Sorry about that, I assumed you were talking about the Base, the board I'm running. I didn't even know they had a Base2 out LOL I really like the integrated SD Card slot, great addition, and of course the 8825s are a nice touch as well.

As you've most likely seen I'm using the TFT28 and I love it, truly PnP right out of the box. Not sure how the two differ...it's so hard to keep up with this!! Seems like as soon as I order one another series or version comes out ;-)

I may have to try the wifi adapter at some point myself, so please keep us posted :)

Regards,
    Sonny

p.s. you know you are causing problems for my wallet...how am I supposed to hear about all these cool things and not buy any ;-)

2. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Veteran
    Builder

Yeah! Some day I gotta have a clearance sale on ebay and get rid of all the unused parts around here...

Other than the screen size (3.2" vs 2.8") the difference is in overall size (the 28 is a lot taller) and the 32 does not work on RAMPS. Makerbase is hard to keep up with. They are trying desperately to find the combo everyone wants and miss it slightly with every twist and turn. Plus there are now clones that completely miss things. On Amazon there is a MKS Gen that the seller insists is a Base.

I have an MKS Gen 1.4 that I'm happy with so far. I had a Marlin I was using to run a Sainsmart 2in1 and I just put it on the Gen w/no changes and haven't had a hickup. If I go with a touch screen I'll probably stay with Gen as I won't need the SD card then.

I'm glad to hear your TFT28 was PnP. I'm expecting the same from the TFT32 then.

3. Sonny Lowe

Sonny Lowe Journeyman

I must admit, the PnP was the best part of this, with any other display/controller I would have had to change the Marlin Firmware. Although I had gotten very comfortable with Marlin why do it if you don't have too...if it ain't broke...

Okay I'm sold, I'm ordering a TFT32 today to run with the SBase I have on the way :)

I like the MKS products I've used so far, the price point is pretty good, the quality seems good, and they simply work!!!

Sonny

4. Ariel Yahni

Ariel Yahni OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Sonny what a great build. Without knowing i went the same way as you and designed almost the same parts. Im going to borrow some ideas from your if you dont mind :) . And i agree with you that having a Laser cutter give you fast turnaround to ideas

5. Sonny Lowe

Sonny Lowe Journeyman

Ariel,

Thanks for the props on the build, it was a fun project and the printer is running great, producing really great parts as well, I'm actually using it to print PETG for the first time and loving it :thumbsup:

Haha, I can't tell you how many times I came up with this new idea only to realize someone else had already done it..."great minds..." :cool:

I too took many cues from several other builds/builders when designing this printer, so please feel free to do the same, hell, I consider it an honor when someone else likes my stuff enough to want to use it, or expand on it. As I've often said, it's the thing I love the most about Open Source Projects.

Very true about the laser, and I have a ton of "Not Quite" laser cut parts laying around to prove it :p

I'll be tracking your progress, as I'm pretty sure there will be one of these little lasers in my future ;)

Sonny

Ariel Yahni likes this.
  6. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

Need to second what @Ariel Yahni says above @Sonny Lowe What a great Build this turned out to be! There are so many great ideas and features to love that are incorporated into this Build that makes it so nice.
    Very nice job Sonny thank you for sharing with us :thumbsup:

Paul Stoller and Sonny Lowe like this.
  7. Sonny Lowe

Sonny Lowe Journeyman

Thanks Mark...

Mark Carew likes this.
  8. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

Your welcome brother thank you for all the great Builds you share with the community!

9. Mame_5152

Mame_5152 New
    Builder

Greate Job but plz can you add full part list

10. Sonny Lowe

Sonny Lowe Journeyman

Mame,

As far as the printer and design it's complete, and by all means could be built, I have just not had the time to complete the parts list, so sorry about the delay in doing that, I'll try to work on it this weekend and post as soon as possible!! I'll also post all the part files needed to complete it.

The only thing I'll leave out will be the extruder files, I plan to change that design a little, but you could certainly pick any of the many extruders on Thingi that would work great as well...

Thanks for the reminder...life gets so busy sometimes we simply forget to finish these little projects...

Sonny

11. brncmp

brncmp New
    Builder

What are you using for a power supply?

12. Sonny Lowe

Sonny Lowe Journeyman

I am using the following:

DC 12 Volt 6 Amp Power Supply Adapter Converter Regulator

I am not current running a heated bed with this power supply. I have ordered one of THESE though and plan to convert it at some point, I'll have to do the math to see if 6 amps will still be enough power, if not I have to upgrade it as well...

13. Anthony Bolgar

Anthony Bolgar Journeyman
    Builder

What an elegant little machine. I love it! I am now planning on building a couple for myself. Thanks for sharing this with us.

14. Greaton A. JoJo

Builder

Dear @Sonny Lowe have you finished this build. I would love to have a design files to build my own project.

15. Indieflow

Indieflow Journeyman
    Builder

Not to steal you away from this excellent thread but have you seen my design the Indie i2? All the stl's and dxf's are available in the Files tab :thumbsup: