Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Small Scissor Lift with the lead screw

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by cigardude, Jul 24, 2014.

1. cigardude

cigardude New
    Builder

I am looking to do a small scissor lift and wanted to incorporate the lead screw. What other parts from this site would I need to get it going?

Thanks

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

We need a bit more information to really make any suggestions. A sketch of where you're going with this and an idea of how much load you are trying to lift would be helpful.

3. cigardude

cigardude New
    Builder

Attached is s quick sketch of the concept. Basically I want to be able to lift something up 4-6 inches and came up with this idea but I open to other ideas. It's probably 20 pounds max.

Attached Files:

4. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

What about something along the lines of a screw jack incorporated into the system
    Although I like @cigardude version much better :)
    [​IMG]

5. cigardude

cigardude New
    Builder

I like the screw jack idea as it looks less involved. Again I am opened to any ideas to be able to lift something up. It does not even need to have a lead screw, that was just for my original idea.

How would I go about that screw jack with parts from OpenBuild?

6. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

bot_lt.jpg
    This is where the fun of experimenting as well as the trial and error of building kicks in :)
    I would start by downloading some of the example builds that contain lead screw actuators in the other section and play around with them to come up with different ideas that may work. Once you have something you like you can build it in the real world and see how it does.
    Don't forget you can copy and paste between two sketchup programs running and you can also open a file and select what you want to keep, copy it (ctrl+c ) and then open a new file and paste what you copied into it (ctrl+v)
    So for instance if you find a leadscrew idea you like in the examples you can copy the parts you like and then you can search the 3d warehouse (under the file menu in SketchUp) for a screw jack model. Once you find one you like you can open it and paste the lead screw parts you copied into it and save it as one file together. This is a big help when it comes to gathering multiple parts for a build.
    Hope this helps have fun with your build
    Mark

7. raykholo

raykholo New
    Builder

For Mark's direction (no pun intended, keep reading) you'd need opposite ACME nuts, one right hand thread for one end of the actuator, and one left hand thread for the other end. That's how you get them moving in opposite directions when you turn the leadscrew.

8. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Raykholo, sadly Openbuilds only has right hand screws. The solution to this is to drill the threads out of one of the threaded blocks and pin the screw in the block with a pair of lock collars, letting it free spin while the other end is pulled toward it with a threaded block.

Anyway, here is my take on the scissor lift concept:
    Scissor Lift Concept.jpg
    It's not fully detailed but you can get an idea of where its headed.

The pivot points are Threaded Rod Plates with 688Z Bearings and 8mm thru-bolts (not shown). The threaded blocks are attached to standard door hinges to maintain alignment. Wheels or slides at the base are not defined but there are any of a number of possibilities there.

Attached Files:

Mark Carew likes this.
  9. andrew

andrew New
    Builder

You can also get a lead screw with reversed threading on one side.

10. raykholo

raykholo New
    Builder

Yupp, that would work. I tend to use the 2 nuts with a spring in between to remove backlash technique commonly found on the Z-Axis of printers, and it is encased in a printed plate with a hexagonal channel for the nuts. If that was used, everything could be solved by with $20 at mcmaster.

#10 raykholo, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  11. cigardude

cigardude New
    Builder

Interesting, I will give it a go. Thanks for the suggestions.

12. Jon Cherba

Builder

I thought about using something along these lines for my Z-Axis on my 3D printer design...

13. Josh B

Josh B Well-Known
    Builder

Did you ever come up with anything on this scissor lift idea?

Josh.