Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

So, how did you wind-up here?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by GrayUK, Mar 12, 2015.

1. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I was thinking the other day, "How did I end up spending so much time on the Openbuild Forum, and how did I end up here in the first place? :confused:
    Then I remembered the path. I was thinking of earning a few pounds maybe making house signs for people, just to keep the wolves from the door.
    So I was looking at the Router template method, you know, the individual letters placed as required, then run the router around them. I immediately saw the limitations in that method. :(
    Then I went onto the Pantograph. This had a greater degree of versatility than the previous technique, but seemed rather hit and miss, with duplication being a bit of a problem. :(
    Then, whilst trawling YouTube, there it was, my first home made CNC machine. EUREKA!!! :eek:
    Wow! I was amazed at these machines I'd never seen before. O.K. so I was looking at the rickety wooden ones, one moment, and then the super heavy duty ones, but then I found the OX!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    It was all down hill from there really. :D
    No really, it was just what I was looking for! :)
    And, whilst not having the money to respond in a knee jerk fashion, like a kid in a toy shop, it has forced me to spend many months of reading and learning. I've read of others successes, and of many others pitfalls, learning all the time. I know what I need to build now, and how much it will cost.
    Just waiting for the money to move on. :thumbsup:

So how did you end up here? How did it help you? :cool:

Gray

2. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

It's all about learning - It doesn't matter how much we know (or think we know) there are always new ideas and techniques coming along. This forum provides a unique source of ideas with many, if not most, coming from our new members who may have little or no prior knowledge of CNC. The application of these new ideas has, at least in my case, led to improvements in my manufacturing techniques which has helped me move onward's and upward's.

You guy's make this such a great forum - keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Tweakie.

mybuild14 and Knut Bøje like this.