Welcome to Our Community

Unlock hidden features. Sign Up for Free Today!

Spindle choice

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by drpeej, Feb 23, 2016.

1. drpeej

drpeej Well-Known
    Builder

I am about to build a C-Beam which I intend to use for PCB routing and relatively lightweight plastic cutting.

I am really confused by router choice. The DeWalt initially appealed but I am put off by the collet costs. I need to use 6mm 3.2mm and 3mm shaft tools. Collets seem only to be available in the US (Precise Bits) with exorbitant shipping costs. Also they don't do metric sizes.

I was about to get the Kress 1050 which has a range of Collets available but I then came across the Proxxon BFW 40/E. This has a speed controller which goes down to 900rpm and comes with a range of Collets including the ones I want. The price is good and all I would need is a 43mm mounting bracket.

Does anyone know anything about this? I have got other Proxxon equipment and it is very well built.

2. JustinTime

JustinTime Master
    Builder

If all you plan on doing is PCBs and plastic you could use a brushless motor as a spindle. It's very inexpensive and will do the job with no problems. I know because that's what I use as a spindle and I also cut wood with it, besides the PCB and plastic (and foam :)).