Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

STEAM crane printer

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Neil G., Jun 29, 2015.

1. Neil G.

Neil G. New
    Builder

Neil G. published a new build:

Read more about this build...

DiggerJ likes this.
  2. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

Wow! If I didn't know better, I would say you were playing in my shop. Very close to what we are planning. We are thinking of using 2 pieces of C-Beam, and ends that allow belts through C-beam, but from there, pretty much the same. I gotta go rethink some things. You are faster than me! :)
    Have you printed with it yet? How level is the X to the Y carriage? Any adjustment possibilities?
    How big are you planning for a bed? I am building for 300x300xapprox 275ish.

3. Neil G.

Neil G. New
    Builder

I haven't printed with it yet. I plan to use an adjustable bed to do fine alignment to the x-carriage.

I chose a bowden style extruder and an aluminum angle mount to minimize the weight on the crane arm. I am hoping that this will eliminate any deflection in the arm itself. I may have to implement a probe based auto bed leveling system.
    I built a RepRapPro tri-color mendel several years ago. I had nothing but trouble with it. It seemed to need re-calibrating every other print. I never got all three heads working. I rebuilt it into a Prusa I3 and was amazed at the difference in the print quality. It was the exact same components from the original printer so it was a design problem. The Prusa's bed just stays level. The same bed is going on this prototype, but I am not really seeing the need for a heated bed. I have had nothing but trouble printing with ABS so I don't bother any more. I may just stick to a simple glass plate.

Build volume will be 200 x 200 x 200. I want to go bigger but I need to keep the cost down.

4. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

I use a heated bed, on a MendelMaXXL and it did take a bit to get it tuned, but it does a really nice job now. We have an I3 at our space that is constantly needing calibration. Strange how what works for one, doesn't for another. My problem is building printers with 200x200mm beds and always being short on space, when for about $10-$15 more you can go 300x300 and really get some printing done. What size bed do you think? I am planning C-Beam for the Y-Axis to spread the width of the carrier for more stability and rigidity for the bed plate carrier. $28 for 100mm and some 20x40 or 40x40 and you are home.

Let us know when you print something off . would love to see how you like it.

5. Neil G.

Neil G. New
    Builder

I hear what you are saying and with cost of ramps boards these days, I may just build another one. I am hoping that the column being so close to the corner and using 1/8" aluminum plate will give me the rigidity I need. 2 columns of C-Beam would make it rock solid. You could go as tall as you wanted to.

6. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

1000mm, it is hell to get old!

7. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

:)Hey, at least this one didn't cause you any ruined undies!

8. Patrick Walls

Builder

Hey Neil,
    Not much since June and I am wondering how the build is going. Any progress reports?
    Thanks
    PatrickB