Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Steel V-Wheel Endplay

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by bwthor, Feb 4, 2015.

1. bwthor

bwthor New
    Builder

I picked up sixteen steel v-wheels, and some of them seem to have play up and down the bearing (think steel wheels sliding up and down the bearings on the same plane as the bolt).

Yes, I've installed the spacer between the bearings inside the wheels. Some are OK, but others have around .005-010" or so movement. I've tightened them so tight I was worried I'd strip the nut, but the play is still there. The bearings are still spinning smooth at this point as well.

What are my options to get rid of this play? Anyone know of thinner spacers to take up the slop?

Quick video to show the slop...
    http://bwthor.com/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=464c96188b291f83e28f479d3ffe0cfc

#1 bwthor, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  2. andrew

andrew New
    Builder

I've seen this with my delrin wheels as well. You could run the spacers over some emery paper to shave off a couple mils. The other option is fixing the outer race of the bearing to the wheel with "jb weld" or similar.

3. bwthor

bwthor New
    Builder

I measured the width of the bearings with the spacers in and out to determine the proper width of the spacer, then sandwiched the spacer between my Dremel cutoff wheel and another disc and narrowed them up that way. I've got them all tight now.

I used my micrometer, and measured the components on a tight wheel, and then a loose wheel. All the widths were right on, including the spacer, bearing and wheels. I couldn't measure the inner lip using the micrometer, so I had to use the depth part of the caliper to get that measurement, and using that method, I couldn't get a solid purchase on the inner lip, so I can't say if that is the reason.

Either way, I'm good to go, and I hope others that are having similar issues find this thread.

#3 bwthor, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    Mark Carew and andrew like this.
  4. andrew

andrew New
    Builder

Nice idea to use the dremel cutoff wheel. Sounds like that would work perfect for this.