Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

stepper driver outputs

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Duane Thompson, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Duane Thompson

Builder

my controller uses A3979 driver chips, set to x and z - 1.4A, y and a - 1.8A by resistors. it uses 30v supply and drives nema 17s.

I would like more torque?
    I want to extend the y from 840mm to 1000mm to allow vertical milling and a rotating axis.

I like the c-beam designs, and the all in one linear actuators, with cbeam, lead screw, plates and nema 23s. I would like to go that route when upgrading.

My thought; the a axis is an optional driver. Its connector can drive two larger current pwbs from these outputs and power the new y axis motors. Additionally I can add a higher voltage (48?) supply to these drivers. Can I run 2 steppers from say a 7A driver, or are 2 separate drivers preferred?

Question: is there anyway to use the outputs to the motors from the A3979s to drive an additional higher output h-bridge. My controller works well, it's just under powered. I'm thinking of it as a preamp. All the signal shapes are correct, so just amplify them? Power these new h-bridges with the new 48v as well and voila I can drive bigger motors.