Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Stepper Motor Confusion

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by DazTheGas, Jul 28, 2017.

1. DazTheGas

DazTheGas Journeyman
    Builder

Been searching google on stepper motors but really cant find an absolute answer so confused.

Lets take a 1m length of C-Beam and mount a 4Nm stepper on one side of the X gantry, so this gives the axis 4Nm of strength. Lets say I want to keep the Y plates holding the X axis at the same weight so I add another 4Nm stepper to the other side, now have I still got an X axis 4Nm or is it 8Nm will it double the strength or will it stay at 4Nm.

My thinking is to use 2 x 4Nm on the Y and then use 2 x 2Nm on the X so each axis = 4Nm and weighs the same (I Hope).

DazTheGas

2. Jonathon Duerig

Jonathon Duerig Journeyman
    Builder

You different axes don't have to weigh the same or have the same forces. In fact, it is often best if they don't. On my machine, I have two high-torque steppers running my Y-axis (along two linear guides). Then one high-torque stepper running the X-axis. Then one normal stepper running the Z-axis. At each stage, there is less weight to move, so it requires less strength.

If you have a single linear guide on an axis, just use one motor on one end. If you have two linear guides for the axis (like one on each side of the machine bed), then use two motors to prevent things getting out of square.

-D