Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Terminal Barrier Block

Discussion in 'Motors' started by MarkBrown, Aug 28, 2016.

1. MarkBrown

MarkBrown New
    Builder

I'm attempting to source some terminal barrier blocks for my ox build and was wondering what other people have been using. I like the idea of a molex-style connector hooked up to the stepper motor, so it can just plug into a receptacle. Has anyone found something like this or designed their own in eagle?

2. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I used 4pin aviation connections at my steppers and 5pin at my control cabinent. The 5th pin being for the cable shield to ground connection at the control cabinet.
    A couple other builds have used these connectors too.
    I've been lazy and haven't grounded the cable shields since there hasn't been problems with my systems noise subceptability, but the option is there if I do start to experience issues. Those auto Molex connectors are okay, but you have to pay attention to their capacities or they may heat up and melt.
    Just my thoughts.

Joe

3. MarkBrown

MarkBrown New
    Builder

Joe,

I'm going with aviation plugs on the controller box(an old dynatel 505 cable tester). I may go with a European style mini terminal strip, I was just hoping somebody had already created a A+/A- B+/B- board design. Digikey and mouser have headers that would work fine for the 4.2 amps @36v my steppers are rated for.

4. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I haven't seen any little boards like that yet. I guess you could just go with a 4pin terminal block and make your own boards later on.
    Terminal block - 4 pin Euro-Style ID: 677 - $2.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

5. MarkBrown

MarkBrown New
    Builder

I picked up the last two euro blocks from a RadioShack going out of business. They are 12 position. It was something like $1.32 for each. Will try to source a couple more so I can do limit switches and z probe.

I'm curious if anyone else is interested in going in on a batch pcb order. I'm AC on the router (Bosch colt), and that could share space on the board if the traces are thick enough and isolated from the DC parts. Perhaps some LEDs too?