Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

The right drill to use

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Fabian23, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Fabian23

Fabian23 New
    Builder

I have a long way to go before my first cut, but have a nagging thought that keeps cropping up every now and then. What type of drill do I need to cut 4mm ply. (the first thing I'll try cutting when I push the button for the first time)

When I watch YouTube video's of other people cutting into ply, their drills are completely different to the set that came with my ordinary router.

I was wondering if there was a site that dealt with this issue of pairing drills with all the different types of materials that we would use on the CNC.

Any help would be great.

Thanks a lot.

Michael.

2. Steve D

Steve D New
    Builder

"
    Router Bit Material
    There are 3 different materials from which Router Bits are made: High Speed Steel, Carbide Tipped, and Solid Carbide. Choosing a carbide Router Bit over a high steel router bit is usually your best bet to get the most for your money.
    High Speed Steel Router Bits are generally the least expensive and are fine for softwood and light plastics, but tend to dull much faster than carbide.
    Carbide Tipped Router Bits are usually more expensive than the high speed steel router bits, but they stay sharper longer and work better in hardwoods and other hard materials, so they may save you money in the long run.
    Solid Carbide Router Bits are the most expensive, but are typically meant for specific applications where other router bits may not perform as well. You may want to choose a Solid Carbide Router Bit for Mortising, Laminate Trimming, and Pattern Cutting."

More info at http://www.carbideprocessors.com/pages/router-bits/how-to-choose-a-router-bit.html

3. Fabian23

Fabian23 New
    Builder

Thanks Steve
    It was a bit (excuse the pun) confusing with all the router bits on offer.

I've bookmarked the page you suggested for future investigation.

Thanks a lot.

Michael.

4. Steve D

Steve D New
    Builder

You are welcome and hopefully it was helpful.