Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

"V-Carving" software for Tinyg?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by gazingm42, Feb 19, 2017.

1. gazingm42

gazingm42 Journeyman
    Builder

I like the the effects on simply cuts using a carbide "V" bit. Specially using it when cutting fonts in a sign as it gives a more depth to the fonts.

So doing research on the V-carving software I found paid software that will do this. But questions on the cost make it worth the $$.

So can skethucam allow consideration in the config to use such a bit. Or is there software that will generate
    the g-code to send it to the tinyg?

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

3. gazingm42

gazingm42 Journeyman
    Builder

4. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Builder

I use Fengrave (free) for V-carving. I just make a drawing with whichever font I want by putting the picture/logo/whatever in an LibreOffice document then put the text where I want it. The whole thing can be scanned as a bitmap for Fengrave. Then, In Fengrave I just make the overall size what I want it and choose the deepest depth of cut. I used Fengrave to make this 2' x 4 ' carving (lettering, skull and cross bones):
    [​IMG]

5. gazingm42

gazingm42 Journeyman
    Builder

Giarc. Nice I will check this one out. I would love to see some of your work.

6. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Builder

Thanks. I haven't done a whole lot yet. Just a couple of plaques and that Halloween Tombstone. I am currently learning the process of adding pictures to parts in Fusion 360. I have a great one all ready to go, but for some reason I can't get the CAM to work on the letter E in the design. Every other letter and part of the picture works but that stupid E. :banghead:

Fengrave works well for line drawings with text once you get it figured out. There was a bit of a learning curve, though. Here is one - Holiday Projects - where I used Fengrave for pictures as well as text I typed in using the "Nightmare before Christmas Font." Free download: Burton's Nightmare Font

7. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Fusion does vcarving too. I like Fengrave though.