Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Mini V Linear Actuator

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Mark Carew, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

kram242 published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Murat

Murat New
    Builder

Hi,
    I want to build same system with 20x60 mm . Which parts should be change?(i want it 1500mm length option) I should buy it as soon as possible...It's an urgent issue...

Thanks

3. Mark Carew

Hello @Murat
    If you download the model under the File tab above there are a lot of examples built in there for you (20x60 examples as well).
    The parts list will be the same (Parts list tab above) with the exception of the length of the belt depending on the length of the V-Slot you choose.
    To get the belt length, measure the length of the rail then double it and add a little more in case (12" is more then enough)
    Hope this helps
    Mark

4. Jae Le

Jae Le New
    Builder

The example photo with the mini V logo below, I want to build that! Looks like a perfect setup for a 3D printer where the bed doesn't move. My only concern is the z axis might not be able to make small movements. Would you have a BOM for that specifically?

5. Mark Carew

Hello @Jae Le ,
    The BOM is the same as the parts list shown under the parts list tab here:
    http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/mini-v-linear-actuator-build.48/#openbuilds_parts_list
    This list will build one of the actuators (with lots of little parts like the screws and such left over to build more of them) you would use the size V-Slot you want (in the picture its the 20x20) So if you wanted to build the machine in the example you would need 5 of the actuators.
    Hope this helps and make sure to watch the video and download the example models (Files tab) to get a better understanding of how to build your machine.
    Have fun with your build!
    Mark

6. Jae Le

Jae Le New
    Builder

Thanks for the info. It looks like only the z-axis is 20x20. The x-axis and y-axis appear 20x40. Any idea when the actuator end mounts will be available?

7. Mark Carew

Welcome @Jae Le :)
    Looks like about a week we should be back in stock on the end mounts.
    Hope this helps
    Mark
    EDIT they are in :) V-Slot Actuator End Mount

8. David Bob

David Bob New
    Builder

Hi, if I want to build a 14 mtr linear actuator is it possible using this setup only by extending the V slot profile? thanks

9. Mark Carew

I believe it can be done by connecting the V-Slot end to end perhaps using these double tee nuts (with M5 x 4mm set-screws to maintain a low profile for the wheel to ride over) and or connecting plates. I would also recommend using Belt Tension Spring for such a long run.
    Hope this helps
    Mark

10. David Bob

David Bob New
    Builder

Thanks Mark, I will give it a shot.

11. David Bob

David Bob New
    Builder

Hi, For the NEMA 23 stepper motor, does the V-slot Actuator Mount able to fit? If not, what are the recommend replacement parts?
    Thanks

12. Mark Carew

Your more then welcome
    We have nema 23 plates in the works and they will be available soon :) I will share once they are.
    Thank you
    Mark

13. vonnieda

vonnieda New
    Builder

14. Aleksey

Aleksey New
    Builder

Great design solution! What do you think, is it strong enough to build on its basis cnc router to cut wood, plastics and maybe aluminium? I mean for example on OX or Routy wheels holds v-slot up and down

15. David Bob

David Bob New
    Builder

Dear Mark, I made the 14mtr length linear, but i encounter a problem when the cart go through each of the joint. The cart will vibrate making it unstable. Any recommendation to solve this problem? Thanks

16. Mark Carew

Thank you @vonnieda updated the parts list. :thumbsup:

@Aleksey This is more for light duty like 3D printers or lasers. It could be used for light milling but you are better off using a more heave duty actuator like this one
    http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/nema-23-lead-acme-actuator-example-build.1393/
    For that type of work. You should look into a maching like the OX if a CNC router is what your after. Lots of support and modifications for that machine here.
    http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/openbuilds-ox-cnc-machine.341/

@David Bob When connecting V-Slot end to end you may want to take a look at these post, they may help
    http://www.openbuilds.com/threads/creating-long-v-slot.1065/#post-11360
    http://www.openbuilds.com/resources/v-slot-connector.40/

17. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Smooth movement across joints is as much in the wheels as it is in aligning the joints. A better explanation is provided here: http://www.openbuilds.com/threads/larger-format-machine.313/#post-1736 (latter half of post). You will also probably be better off moving up to the larger size, solid V wheels.

Mark Carew likes this.
  18. Mark Carew

Thank you @Rick 2.0 I looked everywhere for that post I knew there was a better explanation out there but could not find it. I am going to look into improving the search function here on OpenBuilds
    Thank you again my friend.
    Mark

GrayUK likes this.
  19. David Bob

David Bob New
    Builder

crispin and Mark Carew like this.
  20. Silverrcx

Silverrcx New
    Builder

I understand one now needs to mount the motor flush with the end mount, but it seems to me there is no way then to properly center the timing pulley (having the set screw on the flat bit of the motor axis).

The parts needed to mount the idler pulley in the end mount are missing. The screw provided in the pulley kit is too short, and given the width of the end mount is around 32mm, there is no way the 30mm screw contained in the list is long enough. The spacers in the video are also absent from the list.

Or did I miss anything (which happens...) ?

21. Mark Carew

22. Tom Gillam

Builder

This looks like a great build to create a camera slide for my very small and light GoPro Hero 4 video camera . It appears that I could attach a tripod mount to the lower edge of the rail and the camera could travel along on a gantry plate driven by the belt drive. It could be used in time lapse and night lapse sequences giving the impression of moving through the time lapse sequence. My question is related to the motor drive. I am wondering if a step motor is the appropriate motor as I would want the camera motion to be very slow, perhaps covering 1000 or 1500 length in one or two hours. Ability to vary the speed would be nice. Any suggestions as to motors and controllers for a guy who sway over his head in matters electrical. I would need to use the unit in the field and would require battery powered motor. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

23. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Here are a couple of threads which you may find useful. http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/time-lapse-camera-rail.1307/ and http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/diy-gopro-camera-slider.158/

Mark Carew likes this.
  24. Nigel Cowley

Builder

Hi Mark,
    The parts list is not complete, which was a bit of a shame as I ordered parts for six linear actuators delivered to me in UK. The parts list states you don't need aluminum spacers, but you do for the wheels on the gantry plate and the idler pulley. You also need 6mm M5 low profile cap screws for attaching the end caps/motor mount/idler pulley. Moral of the story is; double check your build from the 3d models.

Mark Carew likes this.
  25. Mark Carew

Hello @Nigel Cowley
    We thank you for the feedback
    This in an older build and the parts list was not updated with the new wheel kits (which no longer include the spacers) I will fix this in the parts list as well as look into making this a bundle for easier ordering.
    We want to be sure you are taken care of so please contact the Part Store and let us know the parts you are missing and I am sure they will be glad to help. http://support.openbuilds.com/support/home
    Thank you again for the helpful feedback. :thumbsup:
    Mark

26. Nigel Cowley

Builder

Thanks for the reply, Mark. I have ordered some more parts and then realised I still needed some extra spacers and screws so I have message bombed the OpenBuildPartStore - as I am trying to avoid multiple packaging costs if possible. The bits that have arrived really are top quality and most pleasing to a geek like me! I am itching to get my build under way.
    Nigel

27. Mark Carew

:) Not a problem Nigel we will sort it out on this end so that you get the best combined shipping price.
    Thank you for your kind words and we wish you all the best with your Builds!
    Mark

28. Mark Carew

29. Ryan James

Builder

Question: The actuator bundle shows optional Nema 23 motors. The End mount, however, says it's for Nema 17 motors. Do the 23's fit? The build video also references nema 17 motors.

30. Mark Carew

Hello @Ryan James good catch! You are correct these Linear Actuator End Mounts are for the nema 17 steppers. That was a typo on our part, sorry about that, we have corrected the error :)
    Thank you
    Mark