Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

V-Slot Gantry Plate and Spacer Blocks can't be used together? Image added!

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Jet Jaguar, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Jet Jaguar

Builder

To OpenBuilds,

I am having difficulty using the OpenBuilds 20x80 V-Slot Gantry Plate with the Spacer Block.

I am attempting to use the Gantry Plate with two Spacer Blocks to manually build the Z-Axis for my CNC. Basically I'm building a Screw-Driven Linear Actuator. However, the fitment of the Spacer Blocks to the Gantry Plate appears to be off by ~.5 mm on either side when using two 5mm bolts to mount the Blocks to the Plate. The difficulty is caused by the the alignment of the 5mm mounting holes for the Spacer Block with the 7.2mm mounting holes for the Eccentric Spacers.

When mounting the Spacer Block to the end of the Plate that has the 7.2mm holes for the Eccentric Spacers, the holes in the Spacer Block must align exactly with the holes in the Plate. The two 5mm holes in the Spacer Block are meant to be used to anchor the Block to the Plate so that the Spacer Block will not move when the Eccentric Spacers are turned. Unfortunately, it appears the the 5mm mounting holes are approximately .5mm offset from the center of the 7.2mm holes. This means that the Eccentric Spacers will not be able to adjust the solid V-Wheels to fit snugly against the sides of the Linear Rails.

Can anyone confirm if this is to be expected or did I receive faulty Gantry Plates?

Thank you.

#1 Jet Jaguar, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hello @Jet Jaguar, thank you for your feedback we apologize for any delay this may cause on your build. Please know that the Part Store will reach out to you as soon as possible.
    Thank you again
    Mark

3. Jet Jaguar

Builder

Thanks for the response Mark. Can you at least tell me if I have bad parts or not?

4. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Glad to help, It looks to me that your plate is bad you may want to contact the store where you purchased it from for their suggestions. My suggestion would be to drill out the spacer mounting holes on the plate just a little more and this should allow you the clearance you need to for the wheel spacing. Hopefully this will get you up and running quickly.