Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

what cnc for milling in alu 5/6 mm thickness

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by gizmoo, Jul 5, 2017.

1. gizmoo

gizmoo New
    Builder

I'm a newbie and i read the whole ooznest thread , but still not sure if this machine is good for what i need most , which is milling cutting in alu that can be up to 6 mm thick , i cut big holes , engrave in it and also just use it to drill the holes small diameter in this alu.
    workpiece is on average 430x 350 mm for wood it could be bigger 500 x 300 mm ( but i can turn it )

wood will also be on the menu , but i understand that wood is fairly easy ( is there such a thing as easy )

Also what spindle should i get , ect , is cooling with liquid a must or not ?
    is vacuum suction enough to hold the workpiece down ?
    do i need more powerful steppers and controllers ?

and probably all these answers are somewhere on the forum , if anyon e can point me to those then i'll read through ;-)

thx and all help is greatly appreciated as its a lot of money in a hobby project and expect decent results cause the material also is costly ........

Advise on controllers , software ect

Thanks Benny

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You might take a look at the C-beam Sphinx. It probably suits your parameters the best. As far as spindles, a common trim router will do what you seek. You can move up on up to the .8kw or 1.5kw spindles which offer better speed control and less noise but at a cost. Water cooling shouldn't be necessary.