Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Wheel direction on y-axis

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Bruce H, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Bruce H

Bruce H New
    Builder

If building a y-axis with a piece of 20x60 vslot as the base, is it ok to have the carriage mounted so that the mini vwheels are on the outside of the base extrusion parallel to the ground (grabbing the outside of the base rail)? I'm wondering if this would put undue stress on the wheels/bearings with the weight of the build plate, glass, etc. Or should the wheels be mounted perpendicular to the ground grabbing the top and bottom of the extrusion? Based on all the pictures in the parts store, it seems like it doesn't really matter, but what about any real life experiences?

2. crispin

crispin New
    Builder

It's ok! I think that's how I might have mine running with the carriage on top of slot with movement along the slot parallel to ground, axles attached to carriage point up and down perpendicular to ground, flat side of wheel parallel to ground rolling "sideways" in the 20 side along the ground. Only problem was the nut clearing the ground once I had the carriage raised up high enough above the slot. I flipped the bolts so the nut was on top of the carriage where space didn't matter now with the flat head on the bottom giving ample extra clearance and a cleaner look.

I don't know what happens when a *whole* lot of weight is put on the wheels but if it's only for a heated bed and build plate of common size then it's not a problem and it really doesn't matter much if the axles are running perpendicular or parallel to the ground or to the riding surface.

3. crispin

crispin New
    Builder

my nice little slice of timeless build advice now bumping a three-year-old thread into freshness!
    lol. sigh.

sorry if I broke rule #8!
    "thou who shall bumbeth ye olde yarns risk DOOOOM!!"
    OpenBuilds.com Rules

#3 crispin, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017