Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

would like to build a 1500mm unit with 8mm acme lead screw.....

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by dakman, Apr 20, 2016.

1. dakman

dakman New
    Builder

where can I find the 1500mm lead screw? Openbuilds offers a 1000mm unit but nothing for the 1500mm length... anybody have a source? Thanks!

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

1000mm is about the extent of their workable length. They tend to whip when they get that long. If you want to go 1500mm you'll need to go to a larger size screw. There are several examples on the forum of other projects using larger screws. Research them a bit as most will indicate what size was used and their sources for both the screw and the matching threaded nut.

3. dakman

dakman New
    Builder

what's a good search statement for good results?

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

That's a good question to which I don't have a good answer. You might try scanning through the build section for ones built with leadscrews. CNC ROUTER BUILDS | OpenBuilds

5. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

dakman | OpenBuilds - Found a Canadian company that sells 8mm and 12mm stainless acme screws with anti-backlash nuts for around $60US. Lengths up to 2000mm on the M12, 4 start, 3 pitch. Up to 1800mm on the M8, 4 start, 2 pitch. Looks like these will fit the OpenBuilds nuts too... Going to have a lot of whip at that length unless you come up with some way to support them.

Unfortunately, they are closed until May 15.

SNB Solutions - 11. ACME Lead Screws - SNB Solutions

6. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Quite some time ago I did a lot of research on screws, and the like, and I seem to have forgotten most of it though. I really would like to use 12mm screws, but I have great difficulties in finding one that has all the other necessary values, i.e. 4 Start, and equivalent pitch. I don't want to change the speed either really. :(
    It would be great if someone could supply a list of equivalent screws with similar values, plus matching bearings. (That's a hint by the way.) :D
    Gray