Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

x carve or ox cnc

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by peter28, Sep 9, 2016.

1. peter28

peter28 New
    Builder

Hello everybody,

i am peter from belguim

first of all sorry for the bad english its bean a while since i typed something in english.:)

The question i have is the following :

What is the difference between the X carve from inventables and the OX cnc kit?

I was looking at the two of them but i can not deside witch one i will go for.
    What are your experience with both machines ,the build process and the stabillity and strenght of the machine etc?

thanks

2. alex_b

alex_b Journeyman
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Hi Peter,

Great question and welcome to the Forum! I think both machines have different strengths and weaknesses assuming that they are both cutting wood. The X-Carve is a more "complete" out-of-the-box solution and you will pay somewhat of a premium for that compared to the OpenBuilds machines which are more "DIY" in my opinion. The X-Carve is also not as customizable as OpenBuilds machines such as the OX or the C-Beam. I've built 2 OpenBuilds machines, one OX and one C-Beam. I use both machines in a business/production environment. I would recommend looking at the C-Beam bundles in the Parts Store as I have found Lead Screw driven machines are far superior to belt system in terms of both strength and rigidity after building both. Since you are in Belgium, I recommend looking at this OpenBuilds Distributor in th UK as they offer kits of both the OX and C-Beam Machine: RepRap 3D Printer Parts Supplier - V-Slot CNC - Ooznest

Hope this helps!

(also, I cut carbon fiber and G10 with my OpenBuilds machines almost exclusively)

MaryD likes this.
  3. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

Hi Peter. You'll find guys here on the forum that use OpenBuilds hardware to strengthen their X-Carve. You can buy a complete OX kit from Ooznest in the UK that comes with great instructions. Ooznest is now offering a Full Kit, Mechanical Kit, Plates Kit and various add-on kits on their website. These kits can be found by following this link: OX CNC Machine Kit | Ooznest CNC Hobby Kits

All the V-Slot Extrusions and Mechanical Parts used in our kits, and on our website, come direct from Openbuildspartstore. Therefore, you can be sure you are getting the same quality, geniue parts.

Link to X-Carve Upgrade

Good luck to you!

Angela Warner and Barry Danks like this.