Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Z-axis working height

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Srednasoft, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Srednasoft

Builder

Hi,
    I'm new to the Opnebuilds machines. I have X-Carve 500 today, but I'm looking for a new machine to build with lead or ball screws instead of belts.

The C-beam and Sphinx models look very solid and good, but they all have very little working height on the Z-axis. 25-30mm are allmost only for plate and sign making. My X-Carve has at least 80mm and that's nice if doing 2.5D or carving on thicker wood blocks.

Has anyone done a modification to get more Z room on these Openbuilds machines?

I'll guess the C-beam models would be the easy ones to mod?

2. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

The Sphinx is designed with a removable center base frame member. On the odd occasion more the the standard working depth is needed. The spoiler board can be mounted underneath instead of on top of the base frame and spindle height adjusted to get over 100mm clearance. With the standard plates ! The Z-axis has roughly a 75-80mm range of motion so you may need to go a bit longer on that piece of C-beam to take full advantage. I have never ran into a project requiring me to do it, but something to keep in mind.

This also has the benefit of allowing you to place the machine directly ontop of something to cut ( say a table ) or carve a large object by indexing your cuts and moving the machine. :thumbsup:

And of course the best benefit to all the machines here are how easy they are to customize and mod to fit your specific use case. Not to mention the great community, here to help along the way. :D

1.png 2.png

#2 Kyo, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Srednasoft likes this.
  3. Srednasoft

Builder

Thnx for the reply @Kyo
    I have been studying the Sphinx on your videos and I love the solution. The option to place the wasteboard underneath the machine is very cool. 100mm should be plenty for my CNC work

Is it possible to order the Sphinx as a kit/bundle?

Kyo likes this.