Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Conveyor Belt idea

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by PhotoSgt85, Oct 25, 2016.

?

Worth pursuing?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PhotoSgt85

PhotoSgt85 Well-Known
    Builder

So I have this idea to automate the production of some jar candles (used to own a candle business, got to busy for it). Looking at the openbuilds vslot profiles something that is like the 20 X 80 profile with a low friction insert (think PTFE) along the profiles like slot covers but made to cover the entire 80mm which would allow a conveyor belt to move along this. A simple roller mount for each end with direct stepper drive or a simple GT2/GT3 belt drive to move the whole thing. This would need to be continuous so a linear rail with a gantry plate wouldn't really work. My thoughts on this if I do pursue it would be to automate the process from unpacking glassware, laser etching logos or fragrance names, wicking, filling, cooling, to storage or packing. Let me know what you thing about complex automated systems and process control with the openbuilds system.

R_B likes this.
  2. R_B

R_B New
    Builder

I have a similar need, although for much smaller and lighter items (under 2 oz).
    I was SURPRISED to NOT find any conveyor belt projects (yet) here.

I have been thinking "no software" i.e. the belt runs if product is on it, it stops if there is not (weight micro switch).
    Alternatively the stage of the process that puts items ON the belt causes it to run for a fixed time or distance (cam driven micro switch).

Since this thread (I just noticed) is now 3 years old and apppears to have no support I went browsing and found these;
    Motion Control Application Examples
    I will pursue pricing (for small quantities).

#2 R_B, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019