Welcome to Our Community

Unlock hidden features. Sign Up for Free Today!

Limit Switches

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by leversole, Dec 14, 2015.

1. leversole

leversole Journeyman
    Builder

When I post my build, I will concentrate on the things I changed...no need to bore people wiht the same things! Anyway, lost my controller (another on the way) and during the down time I took my linmit swtiches off and soldered the leads...the slip on clips sometimes slip off, when they do, you can save a crash only if you can get to the power cord first! HaHa! Anyway, I found a cool out of the way place for the Z limit switch, only bad thing is you have to tear down the machine to get to it (which is why it is now soldered)!

IMG_2779.JPG IMG_2778.JPG

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

you should wire your limit switches to the 'normally closed' terminal. that way if a wire comes off the machine stops.

3. JustinTime

JustinTime Master
    Builder

It doesn't look like he has that option, swarfer. All he has are two terminals. Looks like the third one, the nc one, missing.

Also, in the picture it looks like the lower solder joint is a cold joint and not a hot one like the top joint.

4. leversole

leversole Journeyman
    Builder

Switches are NC only...joint is good, dropped a cold blob on at the last minute!

5. snokid

snokid Veteran
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

if they are NC then if a wire falls off the machine should stop when that happens.....
    Wire off = open contact.

6. leversole

leversole Journeyman
    Builder

The machine will only stop if the switches are set for Homing + Limits...If set for homing only, loose wire does nothing, until you try to home the machine and it it crashes