Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Magnum 1K Plus - 1500mm? Challenge Accepted!!!

Discussion in '3D printers' started by ÆLYUS_Energy, Feb 23, 2016.

1. ÆLYUS_Energy

Builder

After a few weeks of chewing it over, and a final visit to the "parts store" I have decided that I will accept the openbuilds unofficial challenge. (not a direct challenge, but a challenge set by the1500mm maximum length).

1500mm? Yep, I think I just found my X axis.

So before I get to the drawing board and start laying out this monster I am calling the "Magnum 1K Plus" I wanted to take it to the community from the start as there are some here who are 1,000 times more qualified to tackle this than I and if there is anything I can learn prior to spending money on mistakes I want to ensure I have the info.

Everything from my progress will be posted here in this thread from start to finish, and if any of you want to get involved in the design or make one of your own you are more than welcome to contribute.

Getting started:

I have decided that my target is a build area somewhere in the vicinity of 1300 x 1100 x 1100 or as big as i can make it.
    The bulk of the build will be with C-Beam using acme lead screw.
    Nema 23 stepper motors for sure, thinking 300oz or better will be needed.
    The initial build will have 1 extruder, hopefully 4 in the finished design and build
    Using 8mm ACME lead screw.
    No idea on the controller, psu, or any of the software yet, but i'll get there.

Goals:

Budget friendly
    Well documented build instructions
    Use as much of the 1500mm limitation as we can
    Use little to no custom fabrication, making parts accessible to everyone.
    Find a few guys with a lot of experience designing 3d printers to help foresee problems.

That's all i have for now, more to come over the next few weeks as i actually start to draw it all out.

The community needs to have an open source well documented machine that tests the limits of the v-slot size restrictions. I want to have a full BOM, build guide, and technical directions as well as the first one built within the next 6 months.

So who all wants to design and talk engineering, theory, etc. with me?

The more of us that can work on the design and catch problems in development before i waste money, the more likely that i can get this all done without running out of money and having to wait for more.