Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

MiniMill Smoothie

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Andrew Helsel, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Andrew Helsel

Andrew Helsel Well-Known
    Builder

2. Julius

Julius Veteran
    Builder

motors do not overload drivers, its the other way around. You can power 400A motors with a 2A driver if you want, but it will be 1/200th of the strength. Get some TB6600 drivers instead and dont have the electronics on the machine!

3. Andrew Helsel

Andrew Helsel Well-Known
    Builder

Ah, I clearly forgot about how DC current draw works. Thanks for the heads-up. Wonder if the 2A motors operate differently at 2A than the 2.8A spec motors which would be under-powered if they're a different design?

I plan on having two machines, so as my budget improves, at least all 6 motors will be utilized and nothing goes to waste. TB6600 looks like a great recommendation, muchos gracias.

I'm contemplating THK ballscrew actuators and steel gantry for the next build, and even thinking about ClearPath hybrid motors after reading the Neo7CNC pages. Ultimately, I want to have very very accurate capabilities for some performance auto parts I wish to make soon. Individual throttle body systems, reduced pullies (reason I bought a 4x board, rotory axis) and others.

And all my electronics will be mounted in an enclosure under a steel tabletop. It's an empty server rack and everything should fit perfectly.

#3 Andrew Helsel, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  4. Julius

Julius Veteran
    Builder

IF the motors are both the same torque rating, the 2A will operate properly at 2A supply, while the 2.8A ones will be slightly underpowered because they are made with a higher inductance.

Dont spend much on em, they are 45$ or so for 5 on ebay. I've gone through 3 sets (machines) with em without issues.

That all sounds good, but dont use the OB aluminum for that. Youll want to get into the 80/20 world to make those even worthwhile.
    www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/328872-machine-3-8020-linear-rail-high-speed.html#post2030306

5. stargeezer

stargeezer Veteran
    Builder

Hi Andrew. Nice build and thanks for the pics. Very nice work!

Larry