Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

MULIMATERIAL 3D PRINTER (in progress)

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Keteland, May 16, 2016.

1. Keteland

Keteland New
    Builder

Keteland published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Keteland

Keteland New
    Builder

Hello !
    OK. I did not think about that (I do not know much about electronics, as I learn it in the same time I practice it !).
    I'll check that and tell you what's going on.
    merci et à bientôt !

3. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

With a normal (sorry Keteland :) ) ramps system adjusting the driver current would be correct, but with the Leadshine driver I believe you will need to set the micro-step switches to correct this. If you could post a clear pic of the switch settings and tell us what positions you currently have your switches set at.

Monster printers are awesome, so you know what I think of this giant printer!!! Big high five!!!!!

4. Peter Eastwell

Builder

I would also agree with Stargeezer and say step switches.:thumbsup:

5. Joshua Coke

Builder

I am not a fan of ramps so I would spend a little more on the controls. For this build the planet cnc products are great because it is designed for external stepper drives in that pulse timing is adjustable in the software. I use leadshine drives and setup with this card was very straight forward. You are going to need a control system that is more flexible than others. Planet cnc is also very good at digitizing with a part probe which can get a handmade parts into a digital format for reproduction and unless you are very proficient with 3D software or have a high end scanner, getting artistic creations printable is challenging.

6. Keteland

Keteland New
    Builder

Hello Guys !

Initially, the switches were set as follow :

PEACK :

[SW1, SW2 and SW3] ="on" >> 1.00A

[SW4] = "off" >> half current

PULSE :

[SW5] = "off" + [SW6, SW7 and SW8]="on" >> 400 pulse

WHAT I HAVE DONE

- I switched the SW1 SW2 SW3 up to 2,37A

- I switched the SW5 SW6 SW7 SW8 up to 12800 pulse

- for the moment, I obtain a irregular motion of the motor … but when I switch on higher levels, it does not move better. Sometimes, the motor seams to heat up as well.

- I guess I’m not far from success anyway.

NEMA 23

I have seen that the NEMA 23 should work with 3.0A and can support 24V or 36V or 48V, but I did not find a clear explanation about voltage to provide when using NEMA 23 ; indeed, sometime it’s written that 24V is OK, and sometimes, it’s said it should be 36V or 48V to get power.

So, I will keep trying to find the wright set of switches, and on a second time, change the Power supply to a 24V and test different sets of switches again, to see what happens.

Here are photos of driver and switches.

Thank you for your help.

IMG_7008.jpg IMG_7009.jpg IMG_7010.jpg

7. Keteland

Keteland New
    Builder

Hello Joshua
    Actually, I found a schematic that shows the same electronic cards I already have. So, I decided to use it as a base. I also found some videos showing CNC or 3D printers using ARDUINO 2560 + RAMPS 1.4 + LEADSHINE Drivers. My conclusion was : "it should work for mine !"
    That's why I use ramps. I do not know if it is good or not, but at least, I will keep that direction for the moment. If it does not give satisfaction, I will change and follow your advise (I visited CNC planet website)

SCHEMA - montage V1.jpg

About 3D modeling : I am architect, designer and artist (when I have got time), so I use 3D software design tools every days. Now, I am interested in the challenge to print some of my creations using 3D printers. As you can guess, for large pieces, my Prusa i3 is limited …

8. Justin Brawley

Builder

I ran into a very similar problem about 2 weeks ago except mine was only doing it on the z motors. I will mention it am in the middle of building my first 2 3d printers. But I ordered enough parts total to build 5 so I got 3 complete ramps kits in athe once. 1 out of 3 of the ramps boards ended up being bad but only the z motor connections were bad for some reason everything else worked fine except the z motors I tried a different ramps board with same exact configuration file and worked fine. Idk if this is same problem for you but put it up just in case. But please keep us updated I have been wanting to build a 3d printer to print concrete for about 2 years now. I would love to see it finished and possibly make one myself

9. Keteland

Keteland New
    Builder

Hello !
    I tested all the different switch settings possible (it takes time), and tested it also using 24V power supply (instead of 36V).
    It does not work better. I attached a little video on this post, showing the effects of the best configuration I obtained for the moment. The motor makes vibrations, little movement, but not much. And sometimes, it gets very hot.

I do not know how to fix the problem …

Attached Files:

10. Justin Brawley

Builder

If it's possible (do you have another ramps board on hand or able to obtain a second one just in case) try using another ramps board I am in no way saying that the ramps board is for sure the problem just saying that if you have a second one on hand or able to get a second one without worrying about spending the extra money in one. It would not hurt to cancel that out of possibly being the problem. Either way let us know what you end up figuring out and during my builds if I come across anything else that relates to your problem I will post it

11. Justin Brawley

Builder

How is your configuration h file set up? I'm surprised more people have not commented on this as I'm still very new. One of the other problems I ran into is I downloaded a pre-configured configuration h file and I couldn't get any movement out of any of my axis because something about the way he had the endstops set up. I managed to play with a standard configuration h file that I downloaded and just manually made adjustments little by little way more time consuming this way but this is the stage I'm still at but all my motors are moving properly now and I am ready to hook up heat bed.

12. Justin Brawley

Builder

The microstepping I haven't got to play with yet but will be at some point I do however know that this is also something that could cause the issue you are having based of some comments I have read from other people. When I first was having my issue a lot of people were saying that was my problem something to do with mi rostepping which ended up not being the issue but just trying to give you some possibilities to try. If it is a microstepping issue I can't offer any advice on that yet

13. Keteland

Keteland New
    Builder

Hello Justin !
    Actually, I used 2 different ramps (as I have tow other 3D printers - 1 Prusa i3 and 1 I made by my own that runs good). My problem does not come from the ramps itself (results are the same with each ramps).
    The h file is the one I got for my Prusa i3 (Marlin). I also had to make little adjustments in the program to get the ends stops working and motors running in the right direction, but I used it on the other larger 3D printer, and it works fine (after adjustments on the motors directions).

For the moment, I am stuck on that external driver issue ... I do not know what to look for to fix it, actually.

14. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

What is the voltage you are supplying to the stepper motors?

15. Keteland

Keteland New
    Builder

Hello !
    I tried first using a 36V power supply, then, I changed it for a 24V power supply. The results are the same : the NEMA 23 reacts with a "zzzzzzzzzz" noise and a little irregular movement, but not much.

16. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

Try swapping steppers. See if this stepper works in place of one that functions correctly. Then plug a stepper that is working ok in place of the one that's buzzing. If they work in these different locations, the problem is your driver or your mega board (unlikely), if not, it's the stepper.

17. Jacques D

Jacques D New
    Builder

Hey,

How is your build going ? Is it finished ? Any pictures of it (finished or not) ?

Thank you,
    Jacques

18. paul spuria

Builder

i am building a similar size printer but mainly for plastic, its 4ft x 4ft x 4ft im using a printrboard rev d, also like to give you a high five
    the commercial industry is a tad behind on making extremely large 3d printer platforms