Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Rail system for a camera

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by tubarro mecanico, May 15, 2015.

1. tubarro mecanico

Builder

Hi! Greetings from spain, my english is not very good, but I have a question.

My friend wants a rail sistem to put on it the tripod with the camera, but to buy this it's imposible, its very expensive, So he just wants 3 metres long in two parts to transport it easily. So I propose him to build the rail system using V-slot profile.

The camera with the tripod are very light, So in my opinion, with 20x40 for the rails, and 20x20 for the union between them is enough, with screw rod as "legs" in the corners to level it.

But, I have used the mini wheels in a 3D printer, and it's fantastic, it roll very good, maybe the mini wheels is enough, but I thing, the stardard size is better than the mini.

My question: I need the system rolls easy and fluently but only when I push the camera, when not, the camera must be in the same position, not fix, just to don't move till I pull or push it. This is necessary and very important because the camera will be recording few time in the same position before start the movement.
    Can I tight the wheels with the eccentric to get the kind of movement I need?slow, fluently and just when I push it. Ah! before I forget it!! I want to use 4 plates with 4 wheels each to fix the surface where the tripod will place it and maybe I'll put some extra weight in the platform

thank you very much, I hope everything was understandable. I'll waiting for your answer!

2. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

It shouldn't move on its own if you level it