Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Routy GT2 300 BSX CNC Router

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Ronald van Arkel, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

puntoMX published a new build:

Read more about this build...

GrayUK likes this.
  2. sgspenceley

sgspenceley Veteran
    Builder

PuntoMX, your build looks really great!

3. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Looking good!
    Can you give us some pictures showing Y axis and the belt drive system.
    The idea to drive the Y from below is great for keeping rubbish out of the belts!
    I like how you have eliminated the need for gantry plates!
    If it is strong enough and works fine - then it gives many the chance to save a lot of money on their builds.

Gray

4. Ronald van Arkel

Hello guys, thank you for your comments!

@GrayUK,

The belt system is still the same as from the original Routy: http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/routy-cnc-router-v-slot-belt-pinion.101/ , I didn´t change anything from that. The biggest change was the Z-axis and the corners of the router. I've uploaded the SketchUp file so you can see how it's build. I also removed the 1-1/5 " spacers from the motors on the Y-axis. The machine might be a bit less compact (80 mm wider and 34mm longer) but it´s a bit sturdier as well. I think that Mark tried to make it as compact as posible.

---

Still working on the BoM...

5. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Well done @puntoMX ! Very strong and sturdy looking build. Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing! :thumbsup:

6. Ronald van Arkel

Sorry that I butchered you Routy Mark ;).

---

BoM added, looks like a 699.23 USD build (plus shipping). Now I wonder how much it would be if I changed de GT2 belts to Acme rods... "coming soon to you" ;)

7. Ronald van Arkel

I'll be updating this drawing soon, also, there will be one that is smaller and cheaper to build. The BoM needs to be updated with spacers that are not included with the wheels anymore.

8. Ronald van Arkel

Soon I will explain these pictures:

IMG_0029.JPG IMG_0030.JPG IMG_0032.JPG IMG_0035.JPG IMG_0036.JPG IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0038.JPG IMG_0042.JPG IMG_0046.JPG IMG_0047.JPG IMG_0048.JPG IMG_0049.JPG IMG_0050.JPG IMG_0051.JPG IMG_0052.JPG IMG_0053.JPG IMG_0054.JPG IMG_0055.JPG

Timbomill likes this.
  9. jkalberer41

Builder

Is this still working great for you? The BoM is still updated? I'm thinking I'll build this. For software I was planning on Mach3 and Cambam, you think that would be a good choice? I'm decent with CAD programs but don't have any experience with these others. Also, the wiring isn't on the BoM (as you stated), can you give me a list of the needed cables and wires?

10. Ronald van Arkel

Hello jkalberer,

The BoM is outdated, what you are missing are screws and spacers for the wheels. Before the wheels had the spacers and screws included into the package but 9 months ago this changed. Take a look at the new model of the Routy here: Routy GT2 290 BSX CNC Router, Low Cost and Good! | OpenBuilds ,there is a build manual but again it doesn't say anything about electronics, just the mechanical part. Cables are just 2 wires from the the powersupply to the electronics. I use Arduino with GRBL shield and DRV8825 drivers for the small builds, but you can also go for the xPRO USB CNC controller sold on OpenBuilds and Spark Concepts. The NEMA17 motors from OpenBuilds come already with the cables needed. Some people like Mach3 and others BeagleBone Black with LinuxCNC, so it's up to the builder what to choose. We will try to help you on the forums of OpenBuilds, there is already a lot of information about electronics and how to adjust/program your new build ;).

-Ronald

11. jkalberer41

Builder

Thank you for the quick reply. I like the 290 build a lot, but I want the extra bed space of the 300. Any suggestions on what to do with that?

12. Ronald van Arkel

Attached Files:

13. mod_extreme

Builder

hola amigo creo que eres de mexico segun tu perfil,

1º decirte que e estado 3 veces en tu pais y me encanta, cenotes, playas paradisicas, ruinas mayas, alucinante, mi mujer y yo nos queremos ir a jubilar alli! xD

tengo unas preguntas, esta maquina es capad de fresar aluminio de 5mm de espesor?
    en el archivo boom que usted tiene colgado que medidas de trabajo dispone la maquina?
    se puede añadir otra maquina que no sea dremel?
    muy buen proyecto, usted a trabajado bastante en el y me alegro de que lo comparta con la comunidad!

hello friend, I need to know some questions
    this machine can mill about 5mm aluminum?
    boom in the file, the V-slot you have, which measures the total labor machine has its boom file?
    You can add another machine than dremel?
    I hope your reply to buy materials.
    very good job, is a great project y

14. Ronald van Arkel

Hello mod_extreme,

I'm indeed living in Mexico although I'm Dutch. I came to Mexico to make it a better place ;). Sure, nature is beautiful already but most native people don't know what they have and mess it up, or worse, sell it. I think it is indeed a great place to retire.

You need to mount a small router or trimmer to cut aluminium, but I've seen it done with a Dremel tool as well. All depends on how well you know your machine and how to use it. To cut 5mm with a Dremel you could start with 0.33mm a pass, so a total of 15 passes to cut the 5mm. I don't have a new BoM file of the Routy 300 or 310 but in post #12 (just above your post) in this topic you can find the drawing of the Routy 310 made in SketchUp. The Routy 290 has a manual on how to build it and can be used for the 310 as well. If you live in Nort America, I can ship you the parts as an kit. For Canada and USA I can't provide a V-Slot cutting service but for Mexico I can.

(Better to write in English as this is an international forum, sorry.)

-Ronald

15. mod_extreme

Builder

thanks friend for the answer,
    another question, can I change the cutting tool?
    I have a more powerful 1075w Quick Tools that Dremel of power might use in your machine?
    thanks

16. Ronald van Arkel

The design is made for something small, like up to 400W (Dremel is 160W I believe), but you can add 2 extra wheels on the Z-axis and I'm sure it will work with a 650W trimmer router. I never tried it with a 1075W spindle but if it's not too heavy in weight it should be fine. Also, using all Extreme Wheels makes things better, and use 1mm shims on the side of the screw head where a wheel goes. Note that the Routy uses NEMA17 motors with 14t pulleys so it has better torque than other NEMA17 based CNC routers. If you want a sturdier machine you should look at the OpenBuilds Ox ;).

-Ronald

17. mod_extreme

Builder

I like its design friend Your machine is very good and you do not need metal plates cut to size as other projects.

I have a Router 650w motor, the size of a dremel and about 150-200g more weight. You could attach my mower to your machine?

the truth is the cost of manufacture of the machine is very good, and I do not want more machined aluminum 5mm thick and it takes more time is no problem because it will not be for sale to the public works, only hobby.

I have doubts whether the building or assembly of electronics you could answer my questions?

Thank you very much for your time.

18. Ronald van Arkel

Hello mod_extreme,

Thank you for the kind words. I don't see any problem adding a trimmer or small router to the Routy. The design of the Routy is based on best price/performance and all parts are sold in the Openbuilds shops. When you start to cut, use foam to learn how your machine works.

The part of electronics is always difficult as there is no real good out of the box solution. I got tired of "let's make things as small as posible", bad cooling, a mess to adjust for the non-electronics engineer, too small connectors (2.54mm pitch ones), bad builds drivers... But GRBL is great! Really, GRBL has helped so much to get the hobby or tabletop routers in the market :). Short answer: I don't know what you know about electronics and it's just plain hard for me to tell you what way to go. I prefer to use Arduino with GRBL, TB6600 drivers, good PSU (no LED PSUs, just light industrial ones that are 80+ certified and at least UL listed!). Sure this will cost more but it's worth it. You can also go with the Arduino and GRBL shield, the NEMA17 motors have the 2.54mm pitch connectors on them already.

-Ronald o_O

19. mod_extreme

Builder

Ok friend you'll make use electronic case you say, now, I know middle level, can assemble and configure a 3D printer without problem, but want to learn more.
    I'll start with the purchase of materials, you can confirm that the measures I get are correct

1x V-slot 20x60 1500mm -
    -2x 750mm
    1x V-slot 20x60 500mm-
    -1x 442mm
    1x V-slot 20x40 1500mm-
    -1x 710mm
    -1x 430mm
    -2x 170mm
    1x V-slot 20x40 1500mm-
    -1x 710mm
    -1x 430mm
    -1x 170mm
    -1x 140mm
    1x V-slot 20x40 500mm
    -3x 140mm
    1x V-slot 20x20 500mm-
    -1x 442mm
    -3x 140mmmm

very thanks!

20. Ronald van Arkel

What model you want to build? The 290, 300 or 310? Also, where do you live?

-Ronald

21. mod_extreme

Builder

22. Ronald van Arkel

Where do you live?

23. mod_extreme

Builder

hi friend!

I live in madrid, Spain.

If you need any more information you send me the question and reply delighted

very thanks friend!

24. mod_extreme

Builder

forgive friend had not seen his question of where he lived, I feel the delay

25. Ronald van Arkel

That's okay, sometimes it's better to know from where the person you are talking to is, as not all parts/machines are sold in every country. The link you gave me is from a Dutch (Holanda) business, that's why I asked.

I don't see any problem fitting that rotary tool to the Routy. please use the drawing that is in the "files" section to see what parts are needed; the BoM needs to be updated with 6.35mm spacers and might need 25mm screws at some places. Before, the wheels were delivered with a spacer and a screw. Last year the package was changed to a wheel, 2 bearings, 2 precision shims (10mm OD) and one M5 lock nut, thus without the screw and the spacer. If you have want I can send you the Kit with uncut V-Slot from the USA to Spain, I'll make sure you get everything you need to build the machine, OpenBuilds parts that is. Just be prepared to pay tax/IVA. If you like this idea you van send me a personal message (PM). In a personal message I will write you in Spanish.

-Ronald

#25 Ronald van Arkel, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    GrayUK likes this.