Welcome to Our Community

Unlock hidden features. Sign Up for Free Today!

Touch plate and probing with Xpro v 2

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Bernie Jones, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Bernie Jones

Builder

Hello again all... I'm trying to configure a touch plate probe to work with my standard Ox build and Xpro v2 Cnc controller. I have hard limit switches set up on x,y & z. I think I know how to initiate the probing command g38.2 cmd... But where on earth do I wire the probe wires to on the Xpro? Typically it would be pin A5 on an arduino... Baffled!

2. John Meikrantz

John Meikrantz Veteran
    Builder

Pin A5 is available on the Xpro. It is in the black header at the USB port end of the board. See pinouts here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Spark-Concepts/xPRO/master/wiki/IDC.JPG

3. lord_drachenblut

lord_drachenblut Journeyman
    Builder

@Bernie Jones I would be interested in hearing an update to this?

4. Jonathon Duerig

Jonathon Duerig Veteran
    Builder

Just FYI, I used exactly that pin on the xPro v2 for my own Z-axis touch plate. It works perfectly and has so far been completely reliable. Make sure to test in stages and have your hand over the emergency stop when you finally try it 'for real'. Also, it helps if to have a touch plate with a spring-loaded base so that you won't damage your tool if there is a problem with connecting.

I use this gcode:

G38.2 Z10 F30

This sets the speed to 30 mm/min, and stops at Z=10 if it doesn't contact the plate. But I would engage the emergency stop before it got to that point if I had to (my plate is 1" above the surface).

I should note that my tool tip still gouges the spoilboard slightly. But I am not sure if this is because of flex in the machine, slight inaccuracy in my z-steps, or my pressure foot causing the machine to flex. But it isn't a big enough problem to stop me from carving at the moment.

-Jonathon Duerig