Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Where to start / Most Appropriate Design

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Luke Atkins, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Luke Atkins

Builder

Hi All, I've never attempted a project like this before but I would like to build my own CNC router. I would be using the table to cut mostly 18mm plywood and 5mm acrylic sheets. I can keep my designs to a 4x4 size so this size table as a minimum. My questions are what design should I decide upon for the above size, materials and ease of build due to being my first time? Where should I start?

2. sgspenceley

sgspenceley Veteran
    Builder

Hi Luke, My recommendations based on my recent build.

Buy a single larger extrusion for the X axis. Plan on using 1/2" 5 start acme lead screws and anti backlash nuts on all the axis.

Don't plan on using the standard double V slot extrusion For the x axis or the GT3 belts for a machine which is 4' wide where you want to cut 18mm plywood.

The OX is a great starter CNC machine in my opinion but I don't think the design scales well for a largeR machines.

Take a close look at these builds for inspiration...
    http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/area-51-cnc-parts-f-117-cnc-gear-rack-drive-system.1428/
    http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/the-frog-cnc-router.371/

#2 sgspenceley, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  3. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

I second Steve's recommendations. The stock Ox has alot of shortcomings both when you try and scale up as well as cutting heavier materials. Don't get me wrong, you can cut 18mm ply with a Ox but at very slow feeds and very light depth of cuts.

Best bet is stronger extrusions, and a better drive system along with a proper z slide and you'll have a good setup.

For a smaller machine such as a 4 x 4 the easier option would be leadscrews.

Good luck !!